Now Reading

edited February 2017 in Community

Has read up the novel "The Dark Forest" of the Chinese writer Liu Cixin recently. This continuation of the novel "The Three-Body Problem".

In the first novel, "The Three-Body Problem" people of Earth of our time find out that to Earth the space fleet of the aliens who have lost the house for the purpose of creation at us the new house moves. People of Earth are planned to be eliminated, as usual. Ahead of 400 more years, but possibilities of development of terrestrial science are stopped by the all-seeing AI which are previously sent to the planet. Within the available terrestrial technologies it is impossible to cope with the enemy fleet.

In the second book the attempt is described without looking available restrictions to organize opposition to forwards.

The work doesn't shine from the literary point of view. Or more likely it isn't really habitual for the western outlook. But it interestingly lifted problems and technical reliability. And in the novel very interesting philosophical and social problems rise. So I give this work a mark of 8 of 10.

Comments

• Recently I have looked at the first season of TV-series "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency" on Douglas Adams's novel. The series very much were pleasant to me and I have decided to read the book. It should be noted that I very much love a SF&F. And I read it nearly 30 years :) Also I know that Douglas Adams the author very popular and well-loved by many. But here at me for some reason the love didn't happen to him :) I couldn't read, for example, "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" though many people respected by me delighted with this work :) Though the cinema according to this novel was pleasant to me. Therefore I undertook "Detective agency..." with care. And, generally, not for nothing. This book hasn't caused in me delight. But I for the first time read the book, a little interesting to me, with use of a synthesizer of the speech. I, in general, in the last or two actively began to use year for reading a speech synthesizer under Android. The level of quality of synthesis of the speech, at last, became such not to cause in me disgust :) And I spend on the way much time on foot when it is impossible to read from the screen. And so, it has turned out that in this case reading not really interesting book is quite possible :) So I have listened to the end and have read up the novel up to the end.

At once it should be noted that the novel has nothing in common with series, except a name of the main character :) Even image of the character absolutely another. Other appearance, other character. And another story altogether. Anything the general :)

This novel tells about the stories happening to the private detective who leads investigations in absolutely unusual way. He considers that everything in the world is interconnected. And therefore, any accident happening to him brings in result to the purpose. What is curious, so it also turns out :)

In it the work there is a lot of subtle humour and interesting hints that is characteristic of Douglas Adams. It raises novel assessment. But besides interesting there on my taste it isn't enough. Therefore the general assessment turns out all the same somewhere at the level of 7 of 10. At what I have added one point out of respect for Douglas Adams. I read works with such assessment once and more to them I don't come back. But if someone had liked series, then it is interesting to read the book too.

What is interesting. In Adams's novel Dirk Gently is described as the well-fad mature person in a red hat. But all covers of English-language books that I naguglit, draw him as young lean guy in a yellow jacket. As in series :) Probably, after a release of series there was a mass reprinting of this novel with the drawing corresponding to series, but not the book. And here the cover of the Russian book obviously matches the description.

• edited February 2017

followthemonkey:

Wizard and glass is almost entirely standalone though.

I was struck in due time that at King practically all works are connected with each other :)

And this map is not full, isn't present many other crossings here :)

• edited February 2017

I will a little return to the topic "Now Reading".

Usually I choose books for reading according to recommendations of electronic systems (more often) or acquaintances (more rare). Well, recently still I re-read old books, read many of which 10-15 years ago. In Russia there is very popular piracy website Flibusta. It is banned by the state, but it doesn't reduce its popularity :) As there is no normal trade in e-books in Russia, I, despite desire to pay for books, usually swing them from the piracy website. Because there is no place to buy them. On this website there is a section "New Books" with subsections by themes. I very seldom from there download something, but the result is always unsatisfactory. Yes, it is a SF&F, but very poor quality. But all the same time in several months I look whether something that will draw my attention is absent... Here and yesterday I came into this section, without expecting some positive result. In the section "New SF&F Books" there are only two books. The first — some foreign author. "Scientific character", the 2016th year of writing is mentioned in the summary of the book... All right, I think, I will risk.

Blake Crouch — "Dark Matter".

“Are you happy with your life?”

Those are the last words Jason Dessen hears before the masked abductor knocks him unconscious.

Before he awakens to find himself strapped to a gurney, surrounded by strangers in hazmat suits.

Before a man Jason’s never met smiles down at him and says, “Welcome back, my friend.”

In this world he’s woken up to, Jason’s life is not the one he knows. His wife is not his wife. His son was never born. And Jason is not an ordinary college physics professor, but a celebrated genius who has achieved something remarkable. Something impossible.

Is it this world or the other that’s the dream? And even if the home he remembers is real, how can Jason possibly make it back to the family he loves? The answers lie in a journey more wondrous and horrifying than anything he could’ve imagined—one that will force him to confront the darkest parts of himself even as he battles a terrifying, seemingly unbeatable foe.

From the author of the bestselling Wayward Pines trilogy, Dark Matter is a brilliantly plotted tale that is at once sweeping and intimate, mind-bendingly strange and profoundly human—a relentlessly surprising science-fiction thriller about choices, paths not taken, and how far we’ll go to claim the lives we dream of.

Well, according to the first pages, it is possible to read, it seems. Has begun normal with the literary point of view. Confuses me a little that about the one who is a thief I correctly have put forward the version from the first pages of emergence of it... Action develops it is quite expected for novels about the parallel Universes. In advance only the intrigue is expected that will be done by the hero when comes back home. And here serious work is done by rather unusual and unexpected turn. Yes such that it is impossible to come off till the end, the benefit, the book small, pages on 200 :)

Generally, the book on assessment of 7-8 of 10 begins, but the ending extends all book on level 9/10. It is unambiguously recommended to reading! :)

By the way, the book is quite complete on a genre canon. But the ending open is also continuation as I have now seen. We esteem... :)