Look from other side
Now I thought that without going into details and not getting involved in a dispute, you can sometimes try to write something similar on the contrary, here about Russia. Not about what is happening in Russia, but about what is causing a response from Russian Internet users.
The Russian Internet is large, it is used by more than 70% of the population. At more than 60% - every day (two out of every three). Therefore, I can not evaluate the whole Internet, but I can talk about those popular centralized resources where I "live".
Here, for example, the list of the hottest topics of this month from my own forum
1. The American missile destroyer John McCain collided with a merchant ship. Well, here it is clear. The topic is hot, soared recently, interest has not yet cooled down. The main topic of the conversation is why in the American Navy, suddenly, so many such incidents have occurred. This does not correspond to the old idea in Russia about the American fleet.
2. A large fire in Rostov-on-Don. This is yesterday's very loud news inside Russia. In the Russian city in the sector of private buildings because of the heat and dryness there was a very large fire. Burned up to 40 houses, hundreds of people were left without a roof over their heads. Many assume that this is the result of arson, arranged by realtors who have long wanted to build new houses in this area. Fortunately, no one died and, most likely, the government compensates for the loss of housing, but people are going through very hard. Mobility in Russia is much lower than in America, people are literally "merging" with their homes ...
3. War with monuments in the United States. In Russia, people are perplexed and joke a lot. They are perplexed, because they realized on their own history how fraught with attempts to rewrite this story, joke because such actions certainly undermine the internal unity of the United States and reduce its influence in the world arena.
4. Terrorist act in Barcelona. Everything is clear. Russia always warmly sympathizes with the victims of terror. Although more and more often the opinion is voiced that Europe itself is to blame for what is happening, both directly, being a participant in the unleashing of wars in the Middle East, and indirectly through the support of migrants.
5. International Forum "Army-2017". About what they say I do not know, I did not follow this topic Probably, they share photos, videos and discuss military sport achievements.
6. In Surgut, a freak with a knife of people cut. This is a variant of "Chinese" and "Israeli" terrorist acts. In Russia it is new. Fortunately, the terrorist did not have time to kill anyone, was shot by a policeman. At first they thought that the usual psycho, but today it turned out that he had sworn an oath of allegiance to ISIS. It's unpleasant that such a case pours water onto the nationalist mill. Again, slogans are sounded about the separation of the southern (Caucasian) regions of Russia and the fight against national minorities in Russia.
7. "Our customs" on the topic. Self-criticism about the unpleasant features of wild business (low quality of tourist services, taxis) and whether the state should strictly regulate the quality of service issues or this market should develop freely.
8. "Flood" about the division and decay of countries. Geopolitics of separatism after the collapse of the USSR.
9. R&D on VTOL is incorporated in the state program of armaments 2018-2025. Discussion of the prospects for the revival of VTOLs and whether we need it at all.
10. The USA against the USA. The title of the old topic "USA vs Russia" is being played. Again, discussion of the split in the United States on the subject of monuments to the Confederates.
Also a lot of discussions (but this is already without the popularity rating of the topics):
- The terrorist act in Turku. News on the attack in Finland. There was no discussion, it was lost against the news of the terrorist attacks in Brussels and Surgut, but many people read this topic.
- Entering Lebanon in the war with ISIS.
- The plot of a new "Avatar" by James Cameron. And the world of "Avatar" in general.
- Long-running dispute around the F-35.
- USA vs Russia. The topic was mentioned indirectly above. The subject is already 12 years old and it continues to be active
- Causes of the collapse of the USSR. It's also a long-standing question, which does not have a single right answer and will therefore be returned to it again and again.
- The dispute about the age of recruitment into the army. When a person is ready to enter the army, and when it's too late.
- Private military companies in Russia. The Wagner Group, its losses in Syria. Do Russia need private military companies?
- Discussion of railway missile systems. Revival of this kind of nuclear forces in Russia in the light of growing tension.
- The possibility of an American strike against North Korea.
- Perspectives of high-tech fighting robots on the battlefield. Achievements in the field of weak AI, etc.
- The war of Syria with ISIS. The question is very hot, but under it is a whole subforum, so each of the topics in itself is not very hot.
"Results of Putin". The eternal and unceasing holywar between Putin's supporters, Putin's opponents and those who believe that he has little to do with anything
Construction of Russia. Another similar topic in which the opposition is trying to achieve some concrete answers, what should be done to ensure that Russia does not become what they are unhappy with. For some reason the discontent can not come up with any practical improvement plan in the country
Well, I think that's enough for a start. In principle, it is possible to assess what issues now live a certain section of the Internet community in Russia.